Monday, March 15, 2010

So, no post last week, both because it was a public holiday and there was no class but also because I haven't been keeping up with work outside of class, which is my own fault.

This week we looked at Technorati, even though we were meant to do it last class.


Technorati Media, 2008, Technorati, first viewed 15th March 2010, http://technorati.com/

Technorati is a blog-searching and service site. Once signed up (which is free) you can create a profile and "claim" any of your own blogs to that profile. You can then search in a few different ways for different blogs. Technorati is one of those things that seems really nice and useful for the tasks that it can do but it could use some refining. The site is still labeled "beta" and the support page addresses some known issues that exist on the site. Searching is a bit clunky and doesn't provide a lot of options to use for searching, but with some diligence you should be able to find what you need. The Directory search uses blog authority as one of the main categories and there is a link at the bottom of the page to find out what that means. The only thing that I didn't like about the site is that it has advertisements, which is an unfortunate consequence of being able to sign up to the site for free; the company that owns Technorati is a media company, which you can find a fair amount of information on, including board members and managers, on the site itself or on the company site.



Okay, it's been 20 minutes now and my activation email hasn't been sent. What is going on here?

... Now I feel silly. I could sign in without activation this whole time, even though it told me I would need to activate my account. Now I need to actually do my class work and claim my blog and use Technorati to find a blog related to my class topic to evaluate. More on this later.


Ubisoft, make Assassin's Creed 3 already! do it now!!

piff

1 comment:

  1. I am sure you will manage it all before Monday Christine. Ps what is Assassin's Creed 3. it sounds like something I have to deal with constantly? make sure the blog you critically evaluate (with an annotated citation) hasn't already been taken.

    kind regards
    Leonie

    ReplyDelete