Monday, March 22, 2010

This week, Delicious.

Yahoo!, 2005, Delicious, Yahoo!, U.S.A. first viewed 22 March, 2010, http://delicious.com

Delicious is a social bookmarking site. Strange as that sounds, the concept is a fairly smart one. You sign up for Delicious (it is free and becuase it is owned by Yahoo!, you can also use your Yahoo! sign-in if you want to) and then you create bookmarks using urls, just like you would normally do on your own computer but saved online. The smart thing about this is that it allows you to access your important bookmarks from anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection and can log in. As I learned during my trip to WA, I never realised how much I rely on my computer to remember things for me, particularly the websites I like to visit. But then we come to the social aspect of things. Using Delicious, other people can search for bookmarks that have been saved. When you save a bookmark you can add tags to it, these tags let people search out your bookmarks by topic and if somone else has already saved the same url as a bookmark, Delicious will inform you of this and provide a list of example tags that other people have given it. It's actually very similar to programs like digg and reddit (which, thinking about it, I should probably make some extra posts on). It took me a while to find out some information about the people behind Delicious, mainly becuase I was looking for the wrong thing. Instead of the traditional list onf contact details, Delicious has its very own blog, which I found interesting to read a bit of, although I didn't read too much, as it is BIG, having been around for five years now.

The only real complaint I had was that Yahoo! still is not the easiest online service to sign in to, it took me three tries today to get in and it's taken me many more than that in the past. I'm not entirely sure whay this is, although it may have something to do with the account names you use to sign in changing depending on where on Yahoo! you sign in.



In answer to a question, Assassin's Creed is a series of historically-based Sci-fi games about genetic past lives and biblical metaphors. The history in particular is what attacted me to them. They are, apart from a little bit of creative meddling with characters and holy artifacts, very historically accurate, which is rare in videogames. Also, the second game has unintentionally been teaching me some Italian...

piff

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I must admit that I haven't really used Delicious since finding out about it. Unlike some of the other Web 2.0 apps, like Librarything, Flickr and Blogging, I haven't really found it useful as yet.
    I would be very interested in finding out more on Digg and Reddit, as I haven't used these sites at all.

    Janine

    ReplyDelete